SUN 5 - 2 - 2023
 
Date: Apr 17, 2019
Source: The Daily Star
Yemen parties agree details of pullback plan
Agence France Presse
UNITED NATIONS: Yemen’s government and Houthi rebels have accepted a detailed plan for a much-delayed pullback from the flashpoint city of Hodeida, the U.N. envoy said Monday, but no timetable was announced for the withdrawals. The redeployment of forces was agreed in December under a cease-fire deal reached in Sweden that offered the best hope in years of moving toward an end to the war that has pushed Yemen to the brink of famine.

U.N. envoy Martin Griffiths told the Security Council that “both parties have now accepted a detailed redeployment plan” for the first stage of the pullback from Hodeida.

Griffiths said he received assurances from Houthi leader Abdel-Malek al-Houthi when they met in Sanaa last week that his forces would support the Hodeida agreement, but the envoy sounded a note of caution after so many delays.

“Let us be clear that when and I hope it is when and not if these redeployments happen, they will be the first voluntary withdrawal of forces in this long conflict,” he said by videoconference from Amman.

The United Nations announced a deal on the two-stage pullback from Hodeida city and its ports on Feb. 17, but the redeployment failed to materialize on the ground and the peace effort has since stalled.

Griffiths said he was laying the groundwork for broader serious talks on ending the war in Yemen but added: “We all need to see tangible progress in Hodeida before moving to focus on the political solution.”

The Red Sea port of Hodeida is the entry point for the bulk of imported goods and relief aid to Yemen.

The detailed plan on the pullback was negotiated by Danish Gen. Michael Lollesgaard who heads a U.N. monitoring mission.

Following the deal on the first stage, Lollesgaard will now focus on the second phase and seek to resolve disputes over the deployment of local forces in areas from where there has been a pullback.

U.N. diplomats have said the Houthis refused to pull away from Hodeida ports as part of the first stage, citing fears that forces linked to the Arab-led coalition will move in to take over those facilities.

The coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015 to push back an advance by Houthi rebels who continue to hold the capital Sanaa, and restore Hadi to power. The conflict has unleashed the world’s worst humanitarian conflict, according to the United Nations, with millions facing famine.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
UN warns of mass famine in Yemen
War turning Yemen into broken state, beyond repair: UN
UN Yemen envoy says Houthi assault on Marib 'must stop'
Yemen rebels mark 2,000 days of 'resistance' with stacks of cash
More than 20 killed in clashes in northern Yemen
Related Articles
If Paris cash went to Yemen women
Yemen war can be breaking point in EU arms sales to Gulf
The Houthi-Tribal Conflict in Yemen
Yemen peace hanging on fragile truce
Diplomats strive to forge peace in Afghanistan, Yemen
Copyright 2023 . All rights reserved