THU 2 - 7 - 2020
 
Date: Dec 23, 2019
Source: The Daily Star
Egypt frees ex-general arrested after challenging president
Samy Magdy| Associated Press
CAIRO: The Egyptian military Sunday released one of the country's former chiefs-of-staff, nearly two years after his arrest following an announcement that he would challenge President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi in the 2018 presidential vote, military officials and his lawyer said.

A military court had sentenced Sami Annan earlier this year to nine years' imprisonment. He was taken into custody in January last year on charges of fraudulently registering to vote and of breaching regulations by declaring his intention to run in the presidential election two months later, without first clearing it with the military.

The former general was also charged with incitement against the armed forces over a video he had released declaring his candidacy.

The military at the time said that Annan, who served as chief-of-staff until he was removed from office in 2012, was still formally in the reserves and therefor ineligible to vote. El-Sissi won the vote virtually unchallenged and was reelected.

Annan, 71, was freed Sunday, two military officials told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to reporters.

Annan's lawyer, Naser Amin, confirmed the former general was released, saying it was for "health reasons" and that Annan was already back at his home in Cairo.

Annan served as military chief under longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak, who was toppled in the 2011 popular uprising known as one of the Arab Spring revolts in the region. He was subsequently sacked by President Mohammed Morsi, a Muslim Brotherhood stalwart who was elected in 2012.

In 2013, el-Sissi, who also hailed from the military, led the military’s ouster of Morsi, amid massive protests against the Brotherhood's divisive rule. Morsi died during one of his several trials in a Cairo courtroom earlier this year.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
Egypt to prosecute doctor, father over genital cutting of three girls
Egypt jails prominent political figure for a year over "false news"
Egypt holds full-honors military funeral for Mubarak
Egypt confirms first coronavirus case, says affected person is foreigner
Vodafone sells Egypt stake to Saudi group for $2.4bn
Related Articles
Private-equity fund sparks entrepreneurial energy in Egypt
Young Egypt journalists know perils of seeking truth
What Sisi wants from Sudan: Behind his support for Bashir
Egypt’s lost academic freedom and research
Flour and metro tickets: Sisi’s futile solution to Egypt’s debt crisis
Copyright 2020 . All rights reserved