SAT 31 - 10 - 2020
Dec 11, 2019
The Daily Star
U.S. bars entry to ex-Saudi diplomat over Khashoggi case
WASHINGTON: The United States Tuesday barred from entering the country Mohammad al-Otaibi, the former Saudi consul general in Istanbul in October 2018, when Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed there, the U.S. State Department said. “The murder of Jamal Khashoggi was a heinous, unacceptable crime,” the department said in a statement, adding that it continued to urge the Saudi government to conduct a “full, fair and transparent” trial to hold accountable those responsible for the former Washington Post columnist’s death.
Khashoggi was a U.S. resident and a critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman. He was last seen at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, 2018, where he was to receive papers ahead of his wedding. His body was reportedly dismembered and removed from the building.
The killing caused a global uproar, tarnishing the crown prince’s image. The CIA and some Western governments have said they believe Prince Mohammad ordered the killing, but Saudi officials say he had no role. Eleven Saudi suspects have been put on trial over his death in secretive proceedings in Riyadh.
But U.S. President Donald Trump has expressed doubts about the CIA assessment and argued that Washington must not risk its alliance with Riyadh, the cornerstone of U.S. security policy in the Gulf and regarded as a regional counterweight to Iran.
The United States has deployed additional American military forces to the kingdom to bolster its defenses after the Sept. 14 attack on its oil facilities, which Washington and Riyadh have blamed on Iran.
Many members of the U.S. Congress, however, have questioned the longstanding U.S.-Saudi security alliance and backed several efforts, which have failed so far to stop Trump from selling arms to the kingdom without congressional approval, or providing support to the Saudi-led military coalition fighting in Yemen.
Such worries have increased further after the Khashoggi killing.
“We will continue to seek all relevant facts, consult Congress and work with other nations to hold accountable those involved in the killing,” the State Department said.
Otaibi was previously the subject of a U.S. asset freeze for his alleged role in Khashoggi’s death.
The designation also bars his family members from entering the United States.
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment
Enter the security code below
Can't read this?
Saudi dissidents form pro-democracy political group
Saudi Arabia sentences 8 people to prison in Khashoggi murder case
Khashoggi trial fell short on transparency, accountability: UN rights office
Federal suit filed against Saudi crown prince by ex-official
UN investigator calls on Saudi Arabia to free female activists
For U.S.-Saudi ties to thaw, MBS needs to answer on Khashoggi
Fighting 'Radical Islamic Terrorism' Begins with Saudi Arabia
MBS and May: Partnerships, policy and progress
Crown prince performs shock therapy on Saudi Arabia
A door opens in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Copyright 2020 . All rights reserved