THU 12 - 12 - 2019
Dec 2, 2019
The Daily Star
Nearly 70 dead in Syria as regime clashes with militants
Agence France Presse
SURMAN, Syria: Two days of clashes between regime forces and armed groups in Syria’s last major opposition bastion have killed nearly 70 on both sides, undermining a monthslong cease-fire agreement, an activist group said Sunday.
The battles in the northwestern province of Idlib are “the most violent” there since a Russian-brokered cease-fire agreement went into effect in late August, said Rami Abdel-Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Residents of affected villages fled north to escape the fighting, adding to the hundreds of thousands who have already flooded out of the province’s violence-plagued south since fighting escalated earlier this year.
“I don’t want to see my children trapped under rubble,” said one of those driven from his home, Hafez, who escaped the flashpoint area along with his wife and three children two days earlier. Clouds of smoke rose over the Maaret al-Numan region Sunday morning as warplanes pounded militants and allied rebels in positions they had recently recaptured from regime forces, an AFP correspondent said.
The Britain-based Observatory Sunday put the death toll from fighting at 69 combatants since battles started the previous day.
At least 36 regime forces were among those killed.
The Observatory said an attack led by Syria’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate on several regime positions had initially sparked the fighting.
Overnight into Sunday, the Syrian army backed by Russian warplanes launched a counterpush to reclaim territory it had lost in the battles, the activist group said.
Regime forces have since regained lost ground but violent clashes were ongoing, the Observatory and an AFP correspondent said.
Airstrikes Sunday afternoon hit militant-run areas dozens of kilometers away from the main front line, signaling a potential escalation, the correspondent said.
The Idlib region, home to around 3 million people including many displaced by Syria’s 8-year-old civil war, is controlled by the country’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate.
The Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham militant alliance also controls parts of neighboring Aleppo and Latakia provinces, with battles also currently taking place in the latter, according to the group.
The region is one of the last holdouts of opposition to Syrian President Bashar Assad, who controls more than 70 percent of the country, according to the Observatory. Assad has repeatedly vowed to reclaim all of Syria, including Idlib, which he views as a “terrorist” holdout.
In August, government troops began a ground offensive that saw them retake several areas in southern Idlib, allowing them their first foothold in the region in years.
Assad, during a visit to the area in October, his first since the start of the war, said that defeating militants in the province was key to ending the conflict.
Between late April and the end of August, Idlib was pounded ceaselessly by Syrian soldiers backed by Russian airpower. The Observatory estimated that nearly 1,000 civilians were killed in that period, and the U.N. said more than 400,000 people were displaced.
A cease-fire announced by Russia in late August has reduced fighting, but airstrikes and clashes increased in November.
According to the Observatory, more than 160 civilians and more than 460 fighters, including regime forces, have been killed since the deal went into effect.
The Idlib front was the main focus of Syrian regime forces before Turkey in October launched an invasion of swaths of northeast Syria.
The operation against Kurdish forces who had controlled the region since 2012 paved the way for mass regime deployments in the area for the first time in seven years.
Syrian regime troops arrived in positions bordering Turkey as well as other parts of the northeast under a deal with Kurdish forces seeking protection from Ankara and its Syrian proxies.
A deal between Russia and Ankara in October further cemented the deployment, tasking regime forces with ensuring the withdrawal of Kurdish fighters from the border region. Turkey last month accused Russia and Damascus of failing to secure that objective, threatening further action against Kurdish groups.
The war in Syria has killed more than 370,000 people and displaced millions since it erupted in 2011.
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment
Enter the security code below
Can't read this?
Russia, Turkey and Iran express concern about militants in Syria's Idlib
Round of Syrian constitution talks ends without meeting
Two Turkish soldiers killed in attack near Syria border: ministry
Turkey must halt Syrian rebel abuses, Human Rights Watch says
Chemical warfare watchdog defends Syria report
Betrayal of Kurds sickens U.S. soldiers
Trump on Syria: Knowledge-free foreign policy
Betrayal of Kurds sickens U.S. soldiers
Kurdish commander pleads for U.S. support
Kurdish-Arab power struggle in northeastern Syria
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved