WED 13 - 11 - 2019
Sep 30, 2019
The Daily Star
Saudi prince says war with Iran would gut world economy
Agence France Presse
WASHINGTON: Saudi Arabia's crown prince said in an interview aired Sunday that war with Iran would devastate the global economy and he prefers a non-military solution to tensions with his regional rival.
"If the world does not take a strong and firm action to deter Iran, we will see further escalations that will threaten world interests," Prince Mohammed bin Salman told the CBS program "60 Minutes."
"Oil supplies will be disrupted and oil prices will jump to unimaginably high numbers that we haven't seen in our lifetimes," the prince said.
The prince said a war between Saudi Arabia and Iran would be catastrophic for the world economy.
"The region represents about 30 percent of the world's energy supplies, about 20 percent of global trade passages, about four percent of the world GDP. Imagine all of these three things stop," he said.
"This means a total collapse of the global economy, and not just Saudi Arabia or the Middle East countries."
He said a September 14 attack on Saudi oil facilities, which his country and the US blamed on Iran, had been senseless.
"There is no strategic goal. Only a fool would attack five percent of global supplies. The only strategic goal is to prove that they are stupid and that is what they did," the crown prince said.
Mohammed bin Salman was asked point-blank if he ordered the killing and dismemberment of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in October last year.
"Absolutely not. This was a heinous crime. But I take full responsibility as a leader in Saudi Arabia, especially since it was committed by individuals working for the Saudi government," he said.
"When a crime is committed against a Saudi citizen by officials, working for the Saudi government, as a leader I must take responsibility. This was a mistake."
Prince Mohammed, the kingdom's de facto ruler, has come under huge international pressure after the U.S.-based writer was killed and dismembered in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
Khashoggi's body was never found.
The prince has said the killing was carried out without his knowledge.
Riyadh has repeatedly denied that Prince Mohammed was behind the murder of Khashoggi – a royal family insider turned critic and a US resident – who was killed in what Saudi authorities have described as a rogue operation.
A report by a UN human rights expert, who conducted an independent probe, said there was "credible evidence" linking the crown prince to the murder and an attempted cover up.
The CIA has also reportedly said the killing was likely ordered by Prince Mohammed.
But Saudi prosecutors have absolved the prince and said around two dozen people implicated in the murder are in custody, with death penalties sought against five men.
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment
Enter the security code below
Can't read this?
Hashtag Saudi Arabia: Chasing critics on Twitter
Saudi Arabia appoints Prince Faisal bin Farhan foreign minister
Saudi Arabia rules women can join armed forces
Top Saudi official holds talks with U.S. state, defense secretaries
Verdict in Saudi dissident case expected October 10: family
For U.S.-Saudi ties to thaw, MBS needs to answer on Khashoggi
Fighting 'Radical Islamic Terrorism' Begins with Saudi Arabia
MBS and May: Partnerships, policy and progress
Crown prince performs shock therapy on Saudi Arabia
A door opens in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved