SUN 17 - 11 - 2019
 
Date: Aug 21, 2019
Source: The Daily Star
Turkey says it will not move military observation post in Syria
​​​​​​​Airstrikes hit Turkish convoy in Syria, raising tensions
Reuters
ISTANBUL: Turkey will not move the military observation post in northwest Syria that a convoy was trying to reach when it came under attack, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Tuesday.

An air strike on the Turkish military convoy Monday killed three civilians as it was heading south towards the observation point, Turkey's defense ministry said.

The convoy had been sent to keep open supply routes, ensure the safety of the observation post and protect civilians after an offensive by the Syrian army in the region, the defense ministry said.

Airstrikes hit Turkish convoy in Syria, raising tensions

Associated Press
DAMASCUS: Airstrikes targeted a Turkish army convoy inside a rebel-held part of northwestern Syria Monday, killing three civilians and wounding 12 others, the Turkish Defense Ministry said. Syria, however, said the Turkish convoy was carrying ammunition to rebels who have lost ground this month amid a government offensive to retake their last stronghold in the country.

The incident ratcheted up tensions in the region, a current ground zero in Syria’s long-running civil war in which Turkish, Russian, U.S. and Iranian interests are fighting.

The Turkish Defense Ministry gave no word on Turkish casualties, saying the convoy was attacked while heading to one of Turkey’s observation posts in rebel-controlled Idlib province.

Syria’s Foreign Ministry said the convoy of armored vehicles was delivering weapons to Khan Sheikhoun, a major rebel-held town that lies on the front line of fighting along the southern edge of the Idlib enclave. The town is a stronghold of Al-Qaeda-linked Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham, the most powerful militant group in the area. It was not immediately clear whether the airstrikes were carried out by Syrian or Russian warplanes. The convoy consisted of several armored vehicles and flatbed trucks carrying tanks.

The Turkish move into Idlib appears to be a message by Ankara that it won’t allow Syrian forces to capture Khan Sheikhoun. Syrian government forces reached its outskirts earlier Monday. The town’s fall would also cut the highway linking Idlib to northern parts of Hama province, home to one of Turkey’s 12 observation posts on the edges of Idlib province.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an activist group, and Idlib-based opposition activist Mazen al-Shami, reported that Syrian troops reached the M5 highway north of Khan Sheikhoun, making it more difficult for rebels and civilians to move between Idlib and rebels in northern parts of Hama province. Under a deal reached last year between Russia and Turkey, the highway was supposed to be open by the end of 2018 but it never happened. Now, Syrian troops appear to be trying to open it by force.

The Turkish Defense Ministry’s brief statement did not provide details but “strongly condemned” the airstrikes, adding that they were “against existing agreements as well as our cooperation and dialogue with Russian.”

The strikes hit near the highway where the convoy was traveling, Syrian activists said.

Turkey backs the rebels who have been in control of the region since 2012, while Russia backs the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad. It has vowed to take back Idlib.

Hours after the strike, the convoy was still just north of the village of Heesh in Idlib, said Yazan Mohammed, a media activist in Idlib province.

The Observatory’s chief, Rami Abdel-Rahman, said Turkish aircraft were over the area where the convoy had stopped, adding that another convoy was also heading to the areas from northern Idlib province.

The Syrian Foreign Ministry called the convoy’s incursion a “flagrant Turkish intervention,” saying it had reached Saraqeb, a town north of Khan Sheikhoun earlier Monday. Syrian government troops reached the western outskirts of Khan Sheikhoun earlier in the day. The pro-government Al-Watan online and the Observatory reported that Syrian troops have entered Khan Sheikhoun from the northwest. The ministry said “this hostile behavior of the Turkish regime” wouldn’t affect Syria’s push into Khan Sheikhoun.

Syrian troops have been on the offensive in Idlib and its surroundings since April 30.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
U.S. to keep around 600 troops in Syria: Pentagon chief
Founder of Syrian White Helmets organization found dead in Istanbul
Assad: Anybody will be able to run in 2021 election
Erdogan says U.S. not fulfilling Syria deal
US military calls on Kurdish forces in northeast Syria
Related Articles
Trump on Syria: Knowledge-free foreign policy
Betrayal of Kurds sickens U.S. soldiers
Kurdish commander pleads for U.S. support
Kurdish-Arab power struggle in northeastern Syria
A U.S. ally in Syria confronts new threats
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved