FRI 18 - 10 - 2019
 
Date: Jul 10, 2019
Source: The Daily Star
Internet on mobile services restored in Sudan
Agence France Presse
KHARTOUM: Mobile internet services were restored across Sudan Tuesday following a court order, weeks after the ruling generals imposed a blockade in the wake of a brutal crackdown on protesters.

Demonstrators were violently dispersed on June 3 by men in military fatigues, who stormed a weeks-long protest camp outside army headquarters in Khartoum where Sudanese had camped to demand that the generals step down. Armed men, shooting and beating protesters in a pre-dawn raid, killed dozens and wounded hundreds.

Days later internet on mobile phones and fixed land connections was cut across Sudan, with users saying it was done to prevent further mobilization of protesters.

Khartoum-based lawyer Abdel-Azim al-Hassan filed a case against the blockade, urging a court in the capital to order telecom company Zain to restore the internet services on his own mobile phone.

Days later internet on fixed land connections was restored, but the mobile 3G and 4G services remained cut.

“I returned to court and said that numerous clients of Zain and other telecom companies were impacted due to the cut,” Hasan told a news conference Tuesday.

“Today, the court issued an order to Zain and to MTN and Sudani to restore their mobile internet services,” referring to three telecom firms. Later Tuesday the internet services on MTN and Sudani networks were restored, but not on Zain, users said.

Several subscribers of MTN and Sudani contacted by AFP confirmed they were able to make voice and video calls through social media networks like the WhatsApp messaging platform.

Protesters and rights group say the internet blockade was an attempt to quell protests against the generals, who had seized power after the army ousted longtime ruler Omar al-Bashir in April following nationwide protests against his rule.

For the generals the internet and social media had become a threat as protesters used online social media apps to mobilize tens of thousands of demonstrators.

The generals and protesters last week reached a deal to form a joint civilian-military ruling body, which would install a new government and Parliament for a transitional period of little over three years.

The agreement between the two sides is expected to be formally signed in the next few days.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
US envoys open Sudan bank accounts for first time in decades
Sudan's new PM launches probe into protesters' deaths
France's foreign minister pledges support for 'new Sudan'
S.Sudan rivals to keep to deadline for unity government
Sudan court charges Bashir with holding illegal foreign funds
Related Articles
Sudan’s chance for democracy
Moscow’s hand in Sudan’s future
The Fight to Save Sudan from the Counterrevolution
As Sudan uprising grew, Arab states worked to shape its fate
The Big Danger in South Sudan May Be Empty Stomachs, Not Loaded Guns
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved