FRI 5 - 6 - 2020
Jun 12, 2019
The Daily Star
Sudan talks to resume as strike suspended: mediator
KHARTOUM: Protest leaders have agreed to end a campaign of civil disobedience launched after a deadly crackdown on demonstrators and to resume talks with Sudan’s ruling generals, an Ethiopian mediator said Tuesday.
Sudan’s ruling military council also agreed to release political prisoners as a confidence-building measure, special envoy Mahmoud Drir told reporters in Khartoum.
The steps appeared to show a softening of positions after talks between the two sides had collapsed in the wake of the violent dispersal of a protest sit-in on June 3.
The apparent breakthrough, which the military rulers had yet to confirm, came as a top U.S. diplomat prepared to embark on a mission to press the generals to halt the crackdown on protesters demanding civilian rule.
Sudan has been led by a military council since it toppled autocratic president Omar al-Bashir on April 11 after months of nationwide protests against his iron-fisted rule of three decades.
Following Bashir’s removal, protesters camped outside military headquarters in Khartoum for weeks to demand civilian rule, before security and paramilitary forces dispersed them in a crackdown that killed dozens.
The protest movement launched a campaign of civil disobedience Sunday, and most businesses stayed closed and residents hunkered indoors for the next three days.
It had threatened to pile even more pressure on the generals by releasing a list of members for a new ruling body - the key point of dispute between the two sides.
But they agreed to end the campaign and return to talks, said an envoy of Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, who had led a mediation mission to Sudan last week.
“The Alliance for Freedom and Change agreed to end the civil disobedience [campaign] from today,” Drir, who has been mediating between the two sides since Ahmed visited Khartoum last week. “Both sides have also agreed to resume talks soon,” he told reporters.
The protest movement itself said in a statement that it was calling on people “to resume work from Wednesday.” In Khartoum, the protest strike saw most shops and businesses remain closed with some companies extending to the end of the week the Eid al-Fitr holidays marking the end of Ramadan.
The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces accused of having played the lead role in last week’s crackdown patrolled districts in their trademark pickup trucks fitted with heavy machine guns.“We are now getting used to living with guns as we are seeing so many of these men walking into restaurants with their weapons,” one resident said as a group of RSF members entered an eatery.
In the northern district of Bahari, a hotbed of unrest where protesters had put had roadblocks in the past few weeks, most shops were closed but there were no barricades to be seen, an AFP correspondent reported.
Demonstrators declared their nationwide shutdown a success.
“This shows clearly what we can do, and also in a peaceful way,” said Ishraga Mohamed.
Protest leaders vowed to name a new ruling body to replace the generals.
“The Alliance for Freedom and Change will reveal its sovereign council and a prime minister in an announcement to be made at a suitable time,” the Sudanese Professionals Association, a key member of the umbrella protest movement, said late Monday.
The crackdown by the military came after negotiations between protest leaders and the generals collapsed late last month over who should lead the new governing body - a civilian or a soldier.
The U.S. assistant secretary of state for African affairs, Tibor Nagy, plans to meet both the generals and protest leaders in Khartoum, the State Department said. He is to leave on the trip Wednesday and also visit Addis Ababa to discuss the Sudan crisis with Ethiopian leaders and the African Union.
“He will call for a cessation of attacks against civilians and urge parties to work toward creating an enabling environment” for talks to resume, the State Department said.
The United States has led calls for a civilian-led transition even as its Arab allies Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have backed the generals.
The military-led government blamed deteriorating conditions in Khartoum on the disobedience campaign.
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment
Enter the security code below
Can't read this?
Sudan moves against Bashir loyalists after assassination attempt
ICC trial in The Hague one option for Sudan's Bashir: minister
Sudan to hand over al-Bashir for genocide trial
Sudan to continue to subsidize bread but with 'justice', minister say
Sudan says no promises made to Israel PM
An appeal to the world for Sudan’s future
Sudan’s chance for democracy
Moscow’s hand in Sudan’s future
The Fight to Save Sudan from the Counterrevolution
As Sudan uprising grew, Arab states worked to shape its fate
Copyright 2020 . All rights reserved