SUN 15 - 9 - 2019
 
Date: May 27, 2019
Source: The Daily Star
Haftar to fight until Tripoli ‘militias’ defeated
PARIS: Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar, who is leading a military offensive against the U.N.-recognized government in Tripoli, said in an interview published Sunday he will continue fighting until militias in the city laid down their arms.

Haftar had justified the offensive last month by saying he was fighting against “private militias and extremist groups” who he said were gaining influence in the capital under Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj.

“Of course a political solution is the objective,” Haftar told the Journal de Dimanche newspaper in France. “But to return to politics, we need to finish with the militias.

“The problem in Tripoli is a security one.”

He offered an amnesty to fighters in Tripoli who laid down their arms, saying they would be allowed to “return home safe and sound.”

He also took aim at U.N. mediator Ghassan Salame, who has warned the country is “committing suicide” due to a conflict that six to 10 foreign states are involved in.

“Salame is making irresponsible statements,” Haftar said. “He wasn’t like that before, he has changed. From an impartial and honest mediator, he has become a biased one.”

Salame has warned that Haftar’s offensive is “just the start of a long and bloody war.” More than 75,000 people have been driven from their homes in the latest fighting and 510 have been killed, according to the World Health Organization.

More than 2,400 have also been wounded, while 100,000 people are feared trapped by the clashes raging on the outskirts of Tripoli.

Wednesday, Haftar, meeting French President Emmanuel Macron, ruled out a cease-fire and said he wanted to rid the capital of militias that had “infested” the U.N.-backed government of Sarraj, a French presidential official said.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
African refugees held in Libya to be evacuated to Rwanda: UN
Benghazi port bustling again despite Libya’s divisions
Airport bombed by Libya's Haftar not military: UN
Libya capital flights suspended after deadly rocket fire
Airstrike hits town hall meeting in Libya, killing at least 42
Related Articles
Haftar’s rebranded Libya coups
Russia’s mediation goals in Libya
Libya’s next battle could be over banks
In Haftar, analysts see ‘Moscow’s man’ in Libya
Examining Khalifa Haftar’s ailing narrative in Libya
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved