SUN 20 - 10 - 2019
 
Date: May 23, 2019
Source: The Daily Star
Italian man set free after almost 3 years of imprisonment in Syria
Reuters
ROME: An Italian man held hostage in Syria for almost three years has been freed, the Italian prime minister's office said in a statement Wednesday.

The statement said Italian intelligence, police and the foreign ministry had worked together to secure the release of Alessandro Sandrini – a 32-year-old from the northern city of Brescia.

Sandrini flew to Turkey in October 2016 for a holiday but soon disappeared. A year later, he called his family, telling them he had been seized off a street in Adana, southern Turkey.

His captors released two subsequent videos, including one posted on the Internet last July, showing him dressed in an orange jumpsuit, with two men standing behind him holding guns.

"They say they are fed up with me and that I will be killed if everything is not solved quickly," Sandrini said, asking Italy to reach a deal with his kidnappers.

Sandrini is the second Italian hostage in Syria to be released in the last two months. The first was businessman Sergio Zanotti, who was also from Brescia and was seized in April 2016.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
Amnesty accuses Turkey of 'war crimes' in Syria
Turkey, U.S. agree to suspension of operation in northeast Syria
Kurds accuse Turkey of using banned incendiary weapons
U.N. Security Council concerned by situation in northeast Syria
Turkey: forces push deeper into northeast Syria
Related Articles
Betrayal of Kurds sickens U.S. soldiers
Betrayal of Kurds sickens U.S. soldiers
Kurdish commander pleads for U.S. support
Kurdish-Arab power struggle in northeastern Syria
A U.S. ally in Syria confronts new threats
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved