MON 23 - 9 - 2019
May 23, 2019
The Daily Star
Haftar rules out cease-fire in talks with Macron: Elysee
PARIS: Libyan eastern commander Khalifa Haftar told French President Emmanuel Macron that conditions for a cease-fire were not in place, although he would be ready to talk if those conditions were met, a French presidency official said. Macron and French officials have for several weeks called for an unconditional cease-fire in the battle for Tripoli after Haftar last month launched an offensive on the Libyan capital.
“The distrust we see between the Libyan actors is stronger than ever today,” a French presidential official said after the meeting between Macron and Haftar in Paris.
“When the question of the cease-fire was put on the table, Haftar’s reaction to this was to ask, ‘Negotiate with whom for a cease-fire today?’” the official said.
“He considers that the GNA [U.N.-backed Government of National Unity led by Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj] is completely infested by militias and it is not for him to negotiate with representatives of these militias.”
The official said Macron had asked Haftar to make a public step toward a cease-fire and Haftar responded by saying that an inclusive political dialogue was necessary and he would be ready for it if the conditions for a cease-fire were in place.
Haftar did not make a statement after meeting with Macron for over an hour, a visit that followed Haftar’s surprise trip to Rome last week for talks with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.
Macron met with Sarraj earlier this month, but a day after meeting him, Sarraj’s administration asked 40 foreign firms including French oil major Total to renew their licenses or have their operations suspended.
Tripoli is home to the internationally recognized administration, but some European countries such as France have also supported eastern military commander Haftar as a way to fight militants in a country in chaos since the toppling of Moammar Gadhafi in 2011.
After initially moving fast against the GNA’s forces, Haftar’s forces were stopped outside Tripoli by a counterattack. The fighting has killed at least 430, wounded over 2,000 and displaced 55,000 others, according to U.N. estimates.
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment
Enter the security code below
Can't read this?
East Libyan forces carry out airstrike on Sirte, widening front
African refugees held in Libya to be evacuated to Rwanda: UN
Benghazi port bustling again despite Libya’s divisions
Airport bombed by Libya's Haftar not military: UN
Libya capital flights suspended after deadly rocket fire
Haftar’s rebranded Libya coups
Russia’s mediation goals in Libya
Libya’s next battle could be over banks
In Haftar, analysts see ‘Moscow’s man’ in Libya
Examining Khalifa Haftar’s ailing narrative in Libya
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved