SUN 26 - 5 - 2019
 
Date: May 14, 2019
Source: The Daily Star
Haftar's Libya offensive threatens international peace: EU
Guterres ‘deeply concerned’ about Libya fighting, weapons
Agence France Presse
UNITED NATIONS: U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has told the Security Council he is deeply concerned by the battle for Tripoli and reports of fresh weapons supplies flowing into Libya, according to a report seen by AFP Monday. Guterres reported to the council on the European Union’s Operation Sophia to inspect vessels off Libya’s coast to shore up the arms embargo.

That military operation was authorized by a council resolution in 2016.

EU vessels conducted three vessel inspections in September, November and January, but no arms were found on board those ships, the report said.

Libyan port and Customs authorities, who are trained by the EU, seized armored vehicles in the port of Misrata in February and weapons in Khoms in January, according to the document.

“I am deeply concerned by the current military operation in Libya, which, reportedly, is being reinforced by arms transfers into the country, including by sea,” Guterres said in the report sent to the council Friday.

Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar, whose forces hold the east of the country, launched the offensive on April 4 to seize Tripoli, seat of the U.N.-recognized government.

The EU warned that Haftar’s offensive represented a threat to international peace, and called for all sides of the conflict to put down their arms and commit to U.N. talks.

The assault derailed a U.N. plan to hold a national conference that would have paved the way to elections aiming to end the chaos.

U.N. experts earlier this month said in a separate report to the council that missiles fired at pro-Tripoli forces in April pointed to a likely drone attack that could involve a “third party,” possibly the United Arab Emirates.


Haftar's Libya offensive threatens international peace: EU

BRUSSELS: Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar's offensive against Tripoli represents a threat to international peace, the EU warned Monday.

The bloc called for all sides in the Libyan conflict to put down their arms and to commit to U.N. talks, though the month-long assault on the capital shows little sign of ending.

EU foreign ministers had earlier held talks on the crisis, which deepened dramatically last month when Haftar, whose Libyan National Army (LNA) holds the east of the country, launched a bid to seize Tripoli, seat of the U.N.-recognized government.

"The LNA military attack on Tripoli and the subsequent escalation in and around the capital constitutes a threat to international peace and security and further threatens the stability of Libya," EU members said in a statement.

"Furthermore, it enhances the risk of increased terrorist threat across the country."

The statement, issued after EU ministers met the U.N.-recognized prime minister, Fayez al-Sarraj, also voiced concern about the "impact on migration flows" the fighting was having.

Libya, which has been wracked by chaos since the 2011 uprising that killed veteran dictator Moammar Gadhafi, has long been a major transit route for migrants desperate to reach Europe.

Around 60 migrants died on the weekend when their boat capsized in the Mediterranean after leaving Libya for Italy.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
Haftar rules out cease-fire in talks with Macron: Elysee
Countries fueling Libya conflict must be stopped: U.N. envoy
Libya govt gets new arms from abroad despite embargo
Arms flow into Libya risks proxy war
‘From mama with love,’ food parcels for Libya front line
Related Articles
Russia’s mediation goals in Libya
Libya’s next battle could be over banks
In Haftar, analysts see ‘Moscow’s man’ in Libya
Examining Khalifa Haftar’s ailing narrative in Libya
Finding a constitutional panacea for Libya
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved