WED 20 - 3 - 2019
 
Date: Jan 3, 2019
Source: The Daily Star
Yemen govt reports Hodeida rebel 'attacks' to UN
Agence France Presse
DUBAI: Yemen's government and its two main allies have written to the U.N. Security Council accusing rebels of failing to comply with a hard-won cease-fire agreement in the vital port city of Hodeida, an Arab diplomat said Wednesday.

U.N. representatives from Yemen, Saudi Arabia and the UAE wrote that Houthi rebels had launched attacks including sniper fire and medium-range ballistic missiles in Hodeida even after agreeing to a truce, the diplomat told AFP on condition of anonymity.

The Dec. 31 letter to outgoing U.N. Security Council head Kacou Houajda Leon Adom also said the Houthis had erected barricades and dug trenches in the flashpoint Red Sea city, according to the diplomat.

Both the rebels and pro-government forces agreed in mid-December to a mutual withdrawal from the port, city and wider governorate of Hodeida at U.N.-brokered negotiations in Sweden.

AFP footage from Hodeida Wednesday showed concrete barricades across the city, where some streets were lined with sandbags and piles of dirt apparently from freshly-dug trenches.

The rebels accused the coalition Wednesday of flying at low altitude over Hodeida.

They have regularly accused Saudi Arabia and its allies of attacking areas across the governorate since Dec. 18.

Following the cease-fire deal, the U.N. Security Council unanimously approved a resolution authorizing the deployment of observers to oversee the truce, and a monitoring team led by retired Dutch general Patrick Cammaert arrived to Hodeida on Dec. 23.

A U.N. official said the rebels had begun to withdraw from Hodeida last week, and there have been no official U.N. statements on the military status of Hodeida since.

A war between the Iran-backed Houthis and troops loyal to President Abed Rabbou Mansour Hadi escalated in March 2015, when Hadi fled into Saudi exile and the Arab coalition intervened.

Since then, the war has killed some 10,000 people, according to the World Health Organization, although human rights groups say the real death toll could be five times as high.

The Hodeida port is the entry point for food aid to 14 million Yemenis on the brink of famine, according to U.N. figures, and a major front in the Yemen war.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
Civilian deaths rise in Yemen despite port truce: NRC
Arab coalition bombs allied Yemeni soldiers killing 8
Thousands caught in Yemen flashpoint: U.N.
UN Security Council urges Yemen parties to implement peace deal
U.N. pays Yemen teacher wages as millions out of school
Related Articles
Diplomats strive to forge peace in Afghanistan, Yemen
CORRUPTION IN YEMEN’S WAR ECONOMY
Russia’s mediating role in southern Yemen
Playing the dangerous game of peace in Yemen
Hudaida siege may prove tipping point in Yemen war
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved