THU 15 - 11 - 2018
 
Date: Nov 9, 2018
Source: The Daily Star
Two Iraq ministers risk sack over Saddam-era posts: officials
Agence France Presse
BAGHDAD: Two ministers approved by Iraq's Parliament may lose their jobs before the rest of cabinet is agreed, officials said Thursday, after a commission found they were members of Saddam Hussein's regime.

The Accountability and Justice Commission is responsible for the policy of "de-Baathification", or ensuring no Saddam-era officials or senior members of his Baath party play a role in Iraq's government.

Commission spokesman Fares Abdel-Sattar told AFP that the body had sent a letter to Parliament over two nominees to the 22-minister government – a third of which has yet to be confirmed by Parliament.

"Two names will be subject to procedures by the Accountability and Justice Commission," Abdel-Sattar said, without specifying who.

A parliamentary source told AFP the endangered officials were Minister of Youth and Sports Ahmad al-Obeidi and Minister of Communications Naim al-Rubaye, who were only approved by lawmakers last month.

If sacked, it would be the first time the policy of "de-Baathification" unseats a minister confirmed by Parliament since the 2003 ouster of Saddam by a U.S.-led invasion.

Rubaye was reportedly a member of the intelligence services and a mid-level Baath party official, a security source told AFP, but it was unclear what role Obeidi had.

Both received Parliament's vote of confidence on October 25 along with 12 other ministers, including those in charge of finance, foreign affairs, and oil.

Due to deep divisions, the remaining eight portfolios, including the interior and defense ministers, have not been put to a vote.

Parliament has met twice since then, but a confirmation vote did not feature on either session's agenda and it has not set a new date to approve the remaining ministers.

Government formation has dragged on since Adel Abdel-Mahdi, 76, was appointed prime minister in early October.

He had launched a website to allow Iraqis to apply for a ministerial position online and more than 15,000 sent in bids, but most of the names that were approved on October 25 were well-known political figures.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
Over 200 mass graves found across Iraq: United Nations
Daesh kills 3 Iraq village chiefs in a week: officials
US to grant Iraq waiver over Iran sanctions for gas, food items: Iraqi officials
Blast kills three Shiite Muslim pilgrims in Iraq: police
Iraq parliament due to vote on proposed cabinet and program
Related Articles
A fractured Iraqi Cabinet: Abdel-Mahdi facing uphill battle
Evaluating Iran’s economic leverage in Iraq
Abadi struggles to maintain campaign narrative as May polls approach
Fifteen years since start of Iraq War: Have we learned our lesson?
Iraq’s parliamentary elections likely to return status quo
Copyright 2018 . All rights reserved