TUE 23 - 10 - 2018
Oct 9, 2018
The Daily Star
Syrians in ex-rebel zones struggle for aid
Maya Gebeily| Agence France Presse
BEIRUT: Tens of thousands of Syrians in areas recaptured by government troops this year remain starved of humanitarian aid, with the relief agencies helping them for years now unable to reach them. As towns switched from opposition to government control, international aid groups were forced to halt their crucial health, food and protection services as they had no government authorization to work.
Since April, this has left vulnerable civilians in Syria’s south, Eastern Ghouta near Damascus and rural parts of Homs province without the vital support they once relied on.
“In total, tens of thousands of people are impacted by the halt in humanitarian aid,” said Joelle Bassoul, spokeswoman for CARE International, which used to send aid into rebel-held areas.
“In effect, when we stop operating, it means our partners have stopped operating and have no more humanitarian capacity in the given area.”
More than seven years into Syria’s conflict, 13 million people across the country still need humanitarian assistance, the United Nations says.
Aid became politicized early on, resulting in two separate operations being developed.
One, based out of Damascus, saw the U.N. and other agencies providing assistance solely with government authorization.
Meanwhile, NGOs based in Turkey or Jordan helped civilians in rebel areas through a parallel system, without regime approval.
This year, President Bashar Assad brought many of those areas under government control through a string of military victories, forcing those international agencies to pull out.
Clinics close“The aid that used to come from international agencies to the south completely stopped,” said Mohammad al-Zoabi, 29, from Mseifereh in southern Syria.
“Now, there’s a lack of flour, medical supplies and hospitals in general after medical points and field clinics were closed, badly affecting people,” he said.
According to the U.N., 66 aid trucks entered the south from Jordan in June but zero in July when troops seized the area.
Residents of the south interviewed by AFP reported hospital closures and a lack of medicine and flour.
They said doctors and Syrian aid workers had fled, were wanted by security forces for working in rebel areas or had requested but were denied regime permission to resume relief work.
The International Rescue Committee, Mercy Corps, and Save the Children all confirmed they had halted aid programs.
“During the course of the war, as areas have changed hands to government control, the IRC has stopped providing support in those areas,” IRC country director Lorraine Bramwell told AFP.
The IRC said it reached more than 300,000 people in Syria’s south last year and backed six clinics in Eastern Ghouta.
The army recaptured Ghouta in April after an offensive that killed 1,700 civilians.
Government forces then seized areas around Damascus including the Yarmouk Palestinian camp from hard-liners and Daesh (ISIS).
Jafra, a local foundation helping Syrian Palestinians, said one hospital and one school they backed in those areas had to close, pending government permission to reopen.
But residents remain in dire situations, Wesam Sebaaneh, Jafra head, said.
“These people are the same. The needs are the same ... actually they’ve gotten worse,” he said.
‘Constrained’ access’Residents in Talbiseh, a town in Homs seized by the government in May, said medicine and food have become unavailable or unaffordable.
“There was one functioning hospital and three medical points in Talbiseh before the regime came, but they all shut down because now they need licenses from the ministries,” Sami, 20, said.
Areas brought back under regime control are able to access state-provided services and receive aid from the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, the main state-approved conduit for aid.
But residents said government hospitals were often too far away while Red Crescent aid did not match the assistance they received from international NGOs.
Others said they feared interfacing with regime services in case of retribution for years living under rebel control.
“Humanitarian access to areas that have witnessed changes in control continues to be constrained,” the U.N. said in August.
“This prevents a timely response to humanitarian needs that for the most part remain acute following the burden of living under siege for a protracted period.”
International NGOs still work in Syria’s Kurdish-controlled northeast and in Idlib, the last major rebel bastion in the northwest, and some may plan to seek government permission to work in Damascus.
Mercy Corps has already applied, country director Arnaud Quemin said, but he insisted the breadth and scope of cross-border operations would not easily be replaced.
“The question I ask myself today is: Are we going to see access improvements in the coming months, now that the government is not under any existential threat anymore, and the war is militarily mostly won?”
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment
Enter the security code below
Can't read this?
US, Turkey to soon begin joint patrols in north Syria
Russia says killed 88,000 Syria rebels
Coalition denies targeting civilians in deadly east Syria raid
U.N. Syria envoy to make last push before stepping down
US says some militants withdrawing from Syria's Idlib
Discontent among Assyrians in Syria’s northeast
Russia’s disinformation changed how we see Syria
To get back in Syria game, U.S. must prevent Idlib bloodbath
Russian leader overplaying his hand
Putin’s refugee ploy to force the West to go through Assad
Copyright 2018 . All rights reserved