TUE 23 - 10 - 2018
 
Date: Oct 3, 2018
Source: The Daily Star
Turkish troop convoy enters Syria rebel zone
Agence France Presse
KAMMARI, Syria: A Turkish military convoy entered rebel-held northwestern Syria early Wednesday, an AFP correspondent reported, as the deadline for establishing a buffer zone between rebel and government forces draws closer.

At least 40 vehicles, including trucks and armored personnel carriers, were seen moving slowly south along a main highway under the cover of darkness.

The troops they were carrying are expected to be deployed at "observation posts" Turkey has already set up in rebel-held areas of Idlib and Aleppo provinces.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based activist group, said the vehicles were heading to Turkish monitoring posts, including in the southwestern parts of Idlib.

There was no word from Turkey on any reinforcements to the area. It last sent a similar troop column into northern Syria just over a week ago.

Wednesday's convoy entered as the deadline for implementing a Turkish-Russian accord on the future of Syria's last major rebel bastion draws closer.

Last month, Moscow and Ankara agreed to set up a demilitarized zone ringing rebel territory to avert a threatened government offensive.

All factions in the zone must withdraw heavy weapons by Oct. 10, and radical groups must leave by Oct. 15. It will then be monitored by Turkish troops and Russian military police.

The region's dominant armed group, Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), an alliance led by militants of Syria's former Al-Qaeda affiliate, has still not officially responded to the accord.

Turkey's main rebel allies, the National Liberation Front, gave the deal a cautious welcome before objecting to its provisions for a Russian troop presence inside the zone.

The NLF says it is still hammering out the details of the agreement's implementation with Ankara, and is wary that the current proposals would eat into their territory too much.

In an interview aired Tuesday, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Moallem said he hoped the deal would prove to be a "step towards the liberation of Idlib."

Moallem told Lebanon's Al-Mayadeen television he was confident in Turkey's ability to fulfill its side of the deal "because of its knowledge of factions" on the ground.

Fighters from the area would be allowed to stay, he said, while those from other areas would go home and foreigners would leave through Turkey.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
US, Turkey to soon begin joint patrols in north Syria
Russia says killed 88,000 Syria rebels
Coalition denies targeting civilians in deadly east Syria raid
U.N. Syria envoy to make last push before stepping down
US says some militants withdrawing from Syria's Idlib
Related Articles
Discontent among Assyrians in Syria’s northeast
Russia’s disinformation changed how we see Syria
To get back in Syria game, U.S. must prevent Idlib bloodbath
Russian leader overplaying his hand
Putin’s refugee ploy to force the West to go through Assad
Copyright 2018 . All rights reserved