TUE 22 - 10 - 2019
 
Date: Jan 7, 2018
Source: The Daily Star
Imprisoned Kuwaiti activist announces hunger strike
Associated Press
KUWAIT CITY: A Kuwaiti human rights activist sentenced to seven years in prison for taking part in a protest in 2011 has announced a hunger strike to protest his imprisonment.

A statement issued to The Associated Press on Saturday by Sulaiman Binjassem's family says he is on hunger strike to protest the court's "unjust ruling."

He is among nearly 70 defendants sentenced to prison for briefly entering the parliament building during a protest seven years ago against corruption and allegations of bribery among officials. A lower court acquitted the defendants in 2013, but an appeals court in November found them guilty on a range of other charges, including protesting illegally.

Binjassem and three others announced earlier this week from prison the creation of a new political bloc.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
Kuwait says emir recovered from 'setback'
Kuwait arrests stateless protesters demanding citizenship
Kuwait hands Muslim Brotherhood-linked militants to Egypt
Kuwait court paves way for convicted lawmakers to lose seats
Kuwait activists combat rise in banning of books
Related Articles
The entangled politics of Kuwait’s bidoon issue
Opposition gains shift Kuwait’s balance of power
Kuwait’s government achieves its goal
Kuwait citizen agitation is worth watching
What’s next after Kuwait’s elections?
Copyright 2019 . All rights reserved