SAT 17 - 3 - 2018
Date: Aug 23, 2017
Source: The Daily Star
U.S. to withhold up to $290 million in aid from Egypt
WASHINGTON: The United States has decided to deny Egypt $95.7 million in aid and to delay a further $195 million because of its failure to make progress on respecting human rights and democratic norms, two sources familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.

The decision reflects a U.S. desire to continue security cooperation as well as frustration with Cairo's stance on civil liberties, notably a new law that regulates non-governmental organizations that is widely seen as part a growing crackdown on dissent, said the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Spokespeople for the White House and the State Department were not immediately available for comment.

U.S. officials were especially unhappy that Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in May allowed the NGO law to go into effect. Human rights groups and activists have said that it effectively bans their work and makes it harder for charities to operate.

Egyptian officials had assured U.S. officials earlier this year that the law, which restricts NGO activity to developmental and social work and introduces jail terms of up to five years for non-compliance, would not go through, the sources said.

Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
Related News
Presidential vote opens for Egyptians abroad
Egypt targets media on ‘fake news’ charges
Stability still elusive as Sisi poised for second term
Egypt escalates crackdown on media ahead of election
Egypt president's sole opponent holds small rally in Cairo
Related Articles
Outsmarting the opposition: Egypt’s ‘Comprehensive Military Operation’
The escalating battle over appointing judges in Egypt
Prisoners of pain: The struggle to access opioids
Challenges ahead for Egypt’s economy
Sisi’s expanding authority, a double-sided blade
Editor In Chief & Webmaster : Nazih Darwish
Copyright 2018 . All rights reserved