FRI 20 - 10 - 2017
 
Date: Aug 8, 2017
Source: The Daily Star
South Sudan army takes main rebel stronghold
JUBA: South Sudan government forces said Monday they had seized the rebel stronghold of Pagak near the Ethiopian border, after weeks of heavy fighting that forced thousands to flee the region.

Military spokesman Dickson Gatluak said rebel forces loyal to exiled former Deputy President Riek Machar withdrew from the town Sunday “without a fight.”

He said there had been clashes in the nearby town of Maiwut, and government forces pushed the rebels back toward Pagak. Later in the afternoon the rebels withdrew from the Upper Nile town that had long been the headquarters of Machar’s insurgency. “This morning at 6 a.m. our forces entered the town and as we are speaking now they are in full control of Pagak,”Gatluak said.

A spokesman for the rebel SPLA-IO forces, Brig. Gen. William Gatjiath, confirmed the withdrawal from the town, but said they were now in control of Maiwut and readying to take back their stronghold.

South Sudan’s civil war began in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy, Machar, of plotting a coup.

Independent South Sudan analyst Alan Boswell said Pagak had been crucial to Machar’s rebellion in a conflict that largely pitted his ethnic Nuer against Kiir’s Dinka. “It is a big symbolic blow to the rebel movement. Pagak has been the general headquarters since basically the beginning of the rebellion. If it wasn’t for the war having spread nationally this would possibly have signaled the end of the rebellion.”

Since the collapse of a peace agreement in 2015, South Sudan’s war has spread across the nation, sweeping up other ethnic groups and local grievances. Machar was forced into exile in South Africa last year but Pagak had remained a military stronghold for his loyalists.

Tens of thousands have been killed and millions forced from their homes since the conflict began. The latest U.N. figures say half the population – roughly 6 million people – will need emergency food aid this month.

The U.N. said Monday it was investigating reports that 25 people had been killed in South Sudan’s central Gok state in clashes between two tribal factions. A U.N. official in South Sudan’s capital Juba, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters they had received reports Saturday that 25 civilians had been killed and 27 wounded in clashes between Waat and Ayiel, two ethnic groups that are part of South Sudan’s Dinka Gok tribe. He did not say what triggered the clashes.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
Child marriage on the increase in civil war-torn South Sudan
Cairo airport to screen passengers from Sudan for cholera
Sudan's Bashir, wanted for war crimes, invited to Trump summit
Western envoys shun Qatar event attended by Sudan's Bashir
1 million children refugees from South Sudan's civil war
Related Articles
South Sudan: On a familiar road to war?
Editor In Chief & Webmaster : Nazih Darwish
Copyright 2017 . All rights reserved