FRI 16 - 11 - 2018
 
Date: Sep 12, 2018
Source: The Daily Star
Russia claims Syria rebels 'staging chemical attack'
Agence France Presse
MOSCOW: Russia claimed Tuesday that Syrian rebels had begun working on film footage that would be presented to the world as the aftermath of an alleged chemical attack by the Syrian army.

During the seven-year Syrian conflict, the West has accused Damascus on a number of occcasions of using chemical weapons against the civilian population.

The regime of Bashar al-Assad and its top backer Moscow have consistently denied those claims, pointing the finger at rebels instead.

The Russian defense ministry, citing Idlib residents, said film crews from several Middle Eastern TV channels -- as well as "a regional branch of a leading U.S. news channel" -- had arrived for the shoot in the city of Jisr al-Shughour in Idlib.

"By the end of the day", all the footage should be handed over to the TV channels which would release it through social media, the defense ministry claimed.

According to the "scenario," White Helmets activists will be "helping residents of Jisr ash-Shugour" after the alleged use of barrel bombs by the Syrian army, it said.

Two vessels containing chlorine had already been brought to the area from Kherbet al-Jawz, the ministry added.

Real chemicals would be used to make the footage appear more authentic and also to provide samples of allegedly contaminated soil from the scene, the ministry said.

Idlib province and adjacent rural areas form the largest piece of territory still held by Syria's beleaguered rebels, worn down by a succession of government victories in recent months.

For weeks, regime troops backed by Russia and Iran have massed around Idlib's periphery, with deadly air strikes, shelling, and barrel bombs falling with increased intensity in recent days.

The West has warned Assad that his regime would face serious consequences if he used chemical weapons in Idlib.

Russian officials have accused rebels of staging chemical attacks in the past in areas that government forces had been preparing to retake.


 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
SDF resumes offensive in eastern Syria
Jordanians go shopping across the border
Syria attack kills 22 rebels in truce zone: monitor
Syria: Military freed 19 Daesh hostages
Kurds near Turkey border dread fresh offensive
Related Articles
Turkey’s efforts to professionalize Syrian allies
Discontent among Assyrians in Syria’s northeast
Russia’s disinformation changed how we see Syria
To get back in Syria game, U.S. must prevent Idlib bloodbath
Russian leader overplaying his hand
Copyright 2018 . All rights reserved