FRI 15 - 12 - 2017
 
Date: Apr 20, 2017
Source: The Daily Star
Pentagon chief warns of Yemen 'Hezbollah'
Agence France Presse
RIYADH: US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis warned Wednesday of Iranian efforts to create a Yemeni militia "in the image" of Lebanon's Hezbollah, after talks with officials in Saudi Arabia.

The kingdom leads an Arab coalition which for two years has been fighting in support of Yemen's government against rebels backed by Iran.

Saudi officials have accused Tehran and the Lebanese Shiite group, which Iran supports, of aiding the Houthi rebels.

Mattis told reporters of the need to overcome Iran's efforts "in destabilizing yet another country and create another militia in the image" of Hezbollah.

Washington alleges that Iran, Saudi Arabia's regional rival, has shipped missiles to Yemen but Tehran denies the charge.

A United Nations panel in January reported that it "has not seen sufficient evidence to confirm any direct large-scale supply of arms" from Iran.

Analysts from the International Crisis Group also said there has been "very little hard evidence" of Iranian arms to the Houthis, who are allied with troops loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Pentagon officials believe members of the Quds Force, the foreign operations wing of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, are in Yemen to help the Houthis.

Hezbollah, a powerful political movement in Lebanon, is fighting alongside government forces in Syria and has been declared a "terrorist organization" by Riyadh.

Washington provides intelligence as well as aerial refueling to coalition warplanes conducting air strikes in Yemen with American-supplied weapons.

But after talks with Saudi Arabia's King Salman and Defense Minister and Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Mattis did not indicate if President Donald Trump's administration was considering an increase in that support.

Rights groups have repeatedly criticized the coalition bombing campaign in Yemen for causing civilian casualties.

"Our goal is to push this conflict into the UN brokered negotiations to ensure that it ends as soon as possible," Mattis told reporters on his first Middle East tour since taking office.

Seven ceasefires alongside UN-brokered peace efforts have so far failed to stop the fighting.



 
Readers Comments (0)
Add your comment

Enter the security code below*

 Can't read this? Try Another.
 
Related News
The last hours of Yemen's Saleh
Yemen's Saleh ready to turn new page if Saudi-led attacks end
Yemen missile fired at Saudi Arabia may be Iran-made: UN experts
Yemen officials: UN ship's cargo unloaded in rebel-held port
Yemen port, airport to reopen to aid: Saudi-led coalition
Related Articles
UAE increasingly seems to favor Saleh family leadership in Yemen
The world’s wealthy nations are failing Yemen
Why is Saudi Arabia at war in Yemen?
Other than lives, Yemen is losing its cultural heritage
Security reform is a way out of Yemen’s crises
Editor In Chief & Webmaster : Nazih Darwish
Copyright 2017 . All rights reserved